Monday, June 21, 2010

Of skies and dates

“Aasman se gire, khajur mein aatke”



This proverb is probably my mom’s most used Hindi idiom/proverb. If literally translated to English it would sound something like “Fallen from the skies, stuck on dates” (the fruit) which doesn’t really make any sense. The English equivalent to this proverb would be” From the pot to the frying pan”


My mom uses this proverb every morning, to refer to a certain habit of mine. When I get out of bed, I tend to drift towards another comfortable setting like the sofa in the living room or the bed in my parents’ room. And that’s when my mom invariably utters the words “aasman se gire, khajur mein aatke.”


By the way I have never been delayed because of this quirk of mine. Yes, this exercise has always been well timed. For example: if I have to get up at 6.30 in the morning I would probably get up from my own bed at 6.15, just to spent the last 15 minutes of blissful sleep in another soft place. The calculation is almost reflex (I say almost coz maths can never be reflex for me.)


The other day we were sleeping over at my grandma’s house (my nani that is) I was sleeping in my aunt’s room. At 7.15 I got up from the bed and went to my grandpa’s empty bed and found a pillow for myself. Eventually my mom came into the room and before she could say anything I said –“Mujhe khajur mil gaya” I found the date. She just laughed and went off.


Well, I always manage to find my date, even though I haven’t fallen from the sky.

No comments :

Post a Comment